Table Bay Mall opens its doors
This flagship development aims to be a significant contributor to the economic development of both the West Coast region and the Western Cape Province. With an investment of over R1 billion by Zenprop, Table Bay Mall has already created 5,000 jobs during construction and an estimated 8,000 additional jobs are to be created (including tenants and service providers).
Covering 65,000 m² and located on the corner of Berkshire Boulevard and the R27 (West Coast Road), Table Bay Mall also extends the company’s existing record of accomplishment of energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable buildings.
The important natural resource preservation measures include water-saving devices, which are essential for sustainable development in the Western Cape. These include two rainwater harvesting attenuation ponds where rainwater from the specially designed roof will be harvested and used for ablutions and irrigation. Any overflow from the ponds will be directed into the municipality’s storm water channels.
Two boreholes were also installed to minimise municipal water usage. Other measures include metered usage, indigenous plants and rock gardens in non-public areas for current drought conditions and water-saving taps in restrooms.
- Power-saving mechanisms that range from LED lighting and daylight harvesting through to skylights, which are also glazed to ensure a comfortable internal ambience.
- Recycling initiatives that see wet waste sent to a bio plant instead of overloaded landfills, wet and dry compactors on site, onsite sorting of refuse from tenants and sorters for plastic, paper, cans and glass.
- Tap-to-pay parking at exit booms meaning no queueing at pay stations.
- Digital wallpaper – video walls surrounding lifts that showcase thematic and seasonal displays – a first in SA on this scale.
- Directional touch screens to help shoppers find their desired store.
- Fibre optics for speedy Wi-Fi that is also free to all in the mall.
Latest store designs
With 95% of the mall let, anchor tenants such as Pick n Pay, Checkers, H&M, Woolworths, Clicks and Dis-Chem will be highlighting their latest store designs.
Adam Blow, executive director of Zenprop, says, “The Table Bay Mall development meets international excellence standards and caters for a wide variety of shoppers and income brackets. We have considered both the current and projected residential growth in the area to offer the customers of the West Coast the best and latest South African retailers have to offer in a leading edge design.”